Thursday 22 December 2011

Satanism, A Personal Definition

By Delphine

Please keep in mind that Satanism is a *very* individualistic
religion, and if you asked 50 Satanists what Satanism is, you'd
probably get 60 different responses. As a solitaire Satanist, I'll
have a go at this.. but I'm pretty bad at trying to summarize what I
believe, so please feel free to ask me questions.

For me, these are the most important things I believe as a Satanist:
*I believe in Satan as a literal entity. Many other Satanists do not,
esp. those from the LaVey school of thought.

*Satan is NOT a fallen angel, or a lesser created being, but instead a
deity with as much power (for lack of a better word) as any other. He
is the Shadow, a Destroying Deity.. and by such destruction,he purif-
ies, for death of anything leads the way for rebirth. He is a symbol
of rebellion, of pride, and of righteous anger. He brings freedom, in
many different ways.

* My first care is to myself, for if I am unable to serve myself, I
have no basis by which to judge the actions of others. I strive for
excellence, in a sense, very close to what Setians call "Xeper".

*I believe in free will, with the understanding that "with freedom
comes responsibility". I do not accept the threefold law, or any
specific prohibitions like "harm none". In relating to others, I use
the rule "do unto others AS they do unto you". If I am harmed or
treated with dishonor, I will not continue to treat such persons in a
way that is more than they deserve. Revenge, at the proper time and in
a fitting manner, is acceptable behavior. If there are consequences to
such revenge, I will accept them responsibly.

*I will endeavor to be honorable about my own actions, and I will
expect the same behavior from others.

*I see Satan in Nature, in the floods, hurricanes, volcanoes, and
tidal waves. I see fundamental laws in Nature, that death is as
necessary as life. I am humbled and empowered by this, for though it
blindly destroys, it is yet a part of me, as deity is immanent and
transcendant to me. Satan the transcendant is that excellence that I
strive for, Satan the immanent is the spark in me that strives.

* I am polytheistic. The divine, to me, is like a jewel with many
facets, each a part of us, each with something to teach us. No such
lesson, to me , is greater or lesser than any other; but are instead
more or less appropriate for a person at a given time.

There is a great deal more I could say, and in greater detail, but
this covers a large part of Satanism to me. Of course, I'm sure that
Diane Vera, Sheryl, Balanone, and others will have different beliefs
than I do. It seems that individualism and personal pride seem to be
the link between most serious Satanists.

No comments:

Post a Comment